Saturday 10 July 2010

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan


Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood. I never asked to be the son of a Greek God. I was just a normal kid, going to school, playing basketball, skateboarding. The usual. Until I accidentally vaporized my maths teacher. That's when things started really going wrong. Now I spend my time fighting with swords, battling monsters with my friends, and generally trying to stay alive. This is the one where Zeus, God of the Sky, thinks I've stolen his lightning bolt - and making Zeus angry is a very bad idea. Can Percy find the lightning bolt before a fully-fledged war of the Gods erupts?
This story was so good, I found that I could not put the book down, I was so engrosed by the plot. The characters were a little unbelieveable, would Percy really get over his moms death so soon? He's 11, he needs to grieve yet he seems to get over it in a couple of pages.
Percy is a half-blood and after being kicked out of just about every school he's ever been to he arrives at Camp Half Blood. I would like to mention that he doesn't know that he is a half blood, though his mom does and she is the one that takes him to Camp Half Blood, it is meant to be a summer camp. Once he arrives he meets his Latin teacher, who is actually called Chiron, Annebeth and his friend from school Grover who is actually a kind of protector for half bloods.
Chiron offers Percy a quest, the quest however is a dangerous quest in the fact that Zeus thinks that Percy has stolen his lightning blot, of course Percy hasn't and it is up to him to find the Bolt. It appears the Hades has the blot and is wanting a full scale war to erupt so he can regain more power. Posiden also appears to claim Percy as his son (I should proably mention that a God has to claim you as their son or daughter).
So the adventure begins, the characters really add something to the book, you have Annebeth who although she doesn't get on with Percy at the start becomes great friends with him as the quest unfolds, I feel that in later books Percy and Annebeth will get to know eachother more, well I hope they do.
The story kept you going and wanting to find out what happens, it willed you to keep reading. There are plenty of twists and turns in the book to make it an entertaining read. I want to see the film now! Although I have heard they change a lot from the book for the film. I think I will do a post detailing the changes.
I would highly recommend this book to everyone that is interested in the Greek Gods and mythology.

No comments:

Post a Comment