Thursday 8 July 2010

Marked by PC and Kristin Cast

When sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird gets Marked as a fledgling vampire she must join the House of Night school where she will train to become an adult vampire. That is, if she makes it through the Change. But Zoe is no ordinary fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the Goddess Nyx and discovers her amazing new power to conjure the elements: earth, air, fire, water and spirit. When Zoey discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look within herself to embrace her destiny - with a little help from her new vampire friends.

This is a hard book to review, well for me anyway. I loved the story and given the right amount of time I could grow to love the characters aswell, however the lack of writing ability the athours have shown has really wound me up. When I read I want to enjoy the story as much as possible and while I did, some of the language the characters used was just not right for people there ages. An example of this would be Zooey, who calls another pupil at the school 'a pooie head', not trying to sound nasty but a 16 year would never say something like that.

Basically the story goes that vampires are known about, you become a vampire by getting Marked, Zooey gets marked and is sent to the House of Night. Once there she meets Stevie Rae (my favourite character), Damien and the twins (Shanuee and Erin) who actually aren't twins. There is also her mentor Neferet, Eric and Heath love interests and Aphrodite her rival? During her stay there she becomes a member of the Daughters of Darkness and soon realises that the group is overrun with Aphrodite and her friends that aren't willing to let other members join and are in the group for their own gains. This leads to Zooey finding out more about herself and her friends need to come to the rescue.
While the writing has a lot to be desired I believe that this book is entertaining enough and at points had me so engrosed I didn't want to put the book down. If you would like a quick easy read then this is the book for you. I feel however that there is an event in the book which may not be suitable for younger readers, the event gets mentioned quite abit aswell.
This book is the first in the series called 'The House of Night' I believe there are going to be around 15 books altogether and while I am enjoying them I don't know whether I will be able to stick the books out until the end of the series.
Overall a great start to a series, it really does set up the story for the next few books, and gives a couple of hints as to what is in store for Zooey and her friends. I would totally recommend it to my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment