Saturday 17 July 2010

Love Aubrey by Suzanne LeFleur


A tragic accident has turned eleven-year-old Aubrey’s world upside down. Starting a new life all alone, Aubrey has everything she thinks she needs: SpaghettiOs and Sammy, her new pet fish. She cannot talk about what happened to her. Writing letters is the only thing that feels right to Aubrey, even if no one ever reads them.With the aid of her loving grandmother and new friends, Aubrey learns that she is not alone, and gradually, she finds the words to express feelings that once seemed impossible to describe. The healing powers of friendship, love, and memory help Aubrey take her first steps toward the future.Readers will care for Aubrey from page one and will watch her grow until the very end, when she has to make one of the biggest decisions of her life.Love, Aubrey is devastating, brave, honest, funny, and hopeful, and it introduces a remarkable new writer, Suzanne LaFleur. No matter how old you are, this book is not to be missed.


I will admit now that when the story started I didn't really like Aubrey's character much, this didn't change as the book went on. I did however put myself in te position of the character. It was the only way I coped getting through the book, however by doing this I became upset at numerous points throughout the book.

The story was first class, it had mass moments of sorrow and lose but also showed love and happiness could be found in every place. Aybrey's mom runs away and leaves Aubrey to fend for herself, personally for me this is where the book failed, I didn't like the way Aubrey coped with this fact. She pretty much seemed fine about it, however if that was me I would be panicing! Until her grandmother comes to visit you don't really find out much about why the event has happened, you later find out that Aubrey's dad and sister died, it also seems to me that her mother felt the blame, she had been the one driving. From the moment of finding this out I became more interested in the book.

Aubrey learns to cope with the new situations she is put in, and also finds happiness and love.

I LOVED this book, the characters (once you get to know them), the story and the writing style cannot be flattered. I would highly recommend this and in the future will probably pick the book up again, just to see if my opinions have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment