Sunday 30 January 2011

The Last Song







Her parents' divorce left 17-year-old Veronica Miller embittered and confused. Three years later, "Ronnie" still seethes with anger toward her father, a musician and teacher who has abandoned hectic New York City for the quiet beach town of Wilmington, North Carolina. Nevertheless, she reluctantly agrees to her mother's altruistic plan that for the good of all concerned, she should visit her estranged father in his new home. As the story of The Last Song unfolds, novelist Nicholas Sparks weaves his magic, threading together the intricate story of three very different people tied inextricably together.






I really enjoyed this book, I'll admit and say that I was in fact putting this book off as I just wasn't sure this was the right book for me. I'd heard so many things about Nicholas Sparks books in the past for me to warrant them as romance, a genre I don't find I like so much, however I had heard that his books were must reads. This is how I came to read The Last Song.

The characters are all great in the own little ways, for me I loved Steve, Ronnie, Jonah, Will and Blaze. Especially Blaze, although she wasn't in the book for the most part I actually got excited when she appereaded. All the characters where complex in their own little ways, you had the guilt trip had placed on himself, you have the hatred and love Ronnie feels for her father and you have the confusion and distance towards others from Blaze. The only person who was themselves to put it bluntly was Jonah.

The story follows Ronnie and her brother Jonah who are going to live for the summer with their father Steve in a small costal town. Moving from New York to Wilmington is a shock for Ronnie, she knows she will be bored and can't think of how she is ever going to spend the summer there, with her dad who she doesn't speak to. As the first day approaches to an end we meet Blaze, who Ronnie feels is a friend and she finallt thinks that the summer may not be so bad. She also runs into Marcus and Will, it appears they want to fight but about what? Skip forward a week and Ronnie and Will start what appears to be a whirlwind romance. Of course not everything is happy and a lot of secrets do come out between most of the main characters, the biggest coming from Steve.

This book was well written, the characters developed fast and fitted easily into there roles. This book will have you smiling and crying, yes there is a really sad scene towards the end. I honestly didn't know how the book was going to end and I think that it kind of ended too perfect, but I suppose that is just a personal choice. I will deffinatly be reading more by Nicholas Sparks in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment