Wednesday 9 February 2011

I am Number Four







In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now.







I don't really know why I decided to read this book, I've never been a fan of sci-fi and the thought of another sci-fi book kind of put me off. How are aliens interesting? I think I finially decided to read after I saw the trailer for the movie, it looked fab and I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie.

I'm glad I did read this book, it has opened my eyes to genre that I probabley wouldn't have read otherwise. The book follows the life of John or Number Four. He was sent to Earth years ago with his guardian Henri. It is Henri's job to look after John, to keep him safe. He has done this successfully for the past 12 or so years. Though there are others that came with him, there were nine. There were also the
Mogadorians on Earth searching for the nine. They have destroyed the planey Lorien where John is from and have killed one to three, John gets a scar each time someone dies, he knows he is next.

Everytime there has been a spot of bother Henri packs everything up and they move to a new town, John is getting sick of this and wants to make friends, something he has never had. He thinks he finds it in Paradise, he meets Sarah his first real love and her ex, Mark. He also meets Sam a boy obbessed with aliens everr since his dad's dissappearance.

The book had me hooked straight away, the action was fast and steady. The story never seemed to slow down. I found that I was wanting to read more and more not wanting to put the book down. While the main two characters John and Henri were developed the author left out a lot of detail about the other minor characters who played a bigger role overall. Sarah for one just didn't seem real, if I found out my boyfriend was an alien I would freak out, she just went 'Oh, okay', is that really the way you would react. I also didn't understand Mark, he went from hating John to being his best friend towards the end of the book and where did Number Six come from? If the
Mogadorians couldn't find John how could she?

The book did finish with a couple of cliffhangers and I think that we will see more in the coming books of the series. For all the faults with the characters I think that the story shone through and was the overall winner. I don't know what is going to happen in book two, it isn't even about the characters from the first I don't think but I can wait to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment